A young woman claims she’s been “scarred for life” from burns caused by a chocolate face mask that she bought for less than $1.50.
As The Daily Mail reports, 19-year-old Chantelle Currell has never suffered from any serious complexion issues, but she thought an easy face mask would be a great way to remove pesky blackheads.
Just three minutes after coating her face with Montagne Jeunesse mask, however, Chantelle immediately felt her skin burning.
“I went into my bedroom looked at my face, and it was severely burnt,” she recalled. “My lips were swollen. My cheeks have been swollen, I am struggling to eat because of the blisters.”
Chantelle insists that she’s used the same exact chocolate face mask for years, but this was the first time she’d ever experienced a negative reaction.
After consulting with her doctor, Chantelle had to be referred to a burn specialist to find the best way to treat the swollen red blisters around her mouth.
“It's the whole way around my face. I am going to be scarred for life from those three minutes of having a face mask on,” she told News Shopper newspaper. “My confidence is going to drop. I am a 19-year-old girl. I was embarrassed to go to work from it.”
Although Chantelle returned the mask to Asda, the UK store where she bought the product, she was merely given a $1.45 refund.
A spokesperson for Montagne Jeunesse said:
“We can confirm that a report has been received of an alleged reaction to this product.
We have taken this report very seriously and are presently in the process of conducting a full investigation.
We can confirm that this product was safety assessed by our own laboratory and by an independent toxicologist prior to launch and during manufacture, all of whom certified the product to be microbiologically pure.
We are unable to comment further whilst investigations are ongoing.”