Spring is just around the corner, and that means it’s finally time to stock the fridge with tons of fresh berries.
If your family always has to keep a big carton of strawberries on hand, then you know how difficult it can be to keep them sweet and juicy for longer than a day or two.
Strawberries are such a delicious and nutritious snack to grab on the go, but nobody likes biting into a mushy tasteless berry (especially kids!)
Well, worry no more because we’ve got a super simple trick to keep those yummy berries tasting fresh for days longer than they would if you just popped them straight into the fridge.
Follow these easy steps to keep strawberries (and other berries) fresh for up to two weeks:
- Transfer new carton of berries into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour cool water inside the bowl, just enough to cover each berry.
- Add about 1-2 cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Let the solution sit for at least 5 minutes, but no longer than 10 minutes.
- Drain the water/vinegar solution in a colander—do NOT rinse the berries.
- Place the berries on paper towels, but make sure they don’t touch one another.
- Let the berries air-dry completely—this may take up to 1 hour.
- Once you’re sure the berries are totally dry, transfer them into a clean bowl.
- Place the uncovered bowl into the fridge, just as you normally would (you can even cut the berries.)
And that’s it! The vinegar solution keeps every berry fresh and delicious for several days longer than water alone.
If you’re wondering whether the added vinegar will make your strawberries taste off, it won’t. Seriously, there really is no downside to this trick—just healthy, sweet, juicy berries for days!