A mom in Australia is speaking out after her baby girl was given an overdose of medicine, essentially leaving her “drunk.”
As Yahoo reports, 23-year-old Jessica Brough took her 6-week-old daughter Grace in for what she assumed would be a routine appointment, but was soon sent away with three months’ worth of acid reflux medicine.
When she realized how high the dosage seemed, Brough took her concerns up with a pharmacist, who amended it.
Still, the dosage was much higher than Brough expected, and for the next three days, the effects of the medicine took over.
“For three days, my baby has been, for all intents and purposes, drunk,” Brough told Yahoo7 News. “We don’t know what’s going to happen to Grace until she grows older and see if she starts reaching those expected milestones.”
It wasn’t until a nurse came by to check Grace’s weight that the family finally learned just how much danger the medication had put her in.
“I asked what the best way to get Grace to take the medication was and she took one look and said ‘that’s not right’,” Brough said.
“She called the hospital and the pediatrician said ‘bring her in immediately,’” she continued. “Given the three month dosage, it would have fried her brain, caused liver damage, heart attack or she could have died, that’s what the doctor told us.”
Now that Grace is recovering in the hospital, Brough is seriously considering pursuing legal action.
“You put your trust in them... especially with a six-week-old baby, you don’t think ‘I better Google that they’ve prescribed the right dosage,’” she said.